Reply To: Honley Gas Works, Honley
The following are archived comments…
The land for Honley Gas works was rented from Lord Dartmouth at £10 per annum in 1854 and gas making apparatus was delivered the following year.
The Honley Gas Company expanded in 1885 and a new site was created alongside the River Holme across Woodhead Road. On 4th July, 1899, four workmen were killed in an explosion at the original site which occurred when they were dismantling a gas holder.
An electricity generating plant was installed in 1903 in a building which still stands by Honley Bridge.