Site Updates and Feature Requests
25 April 2020 at 11:32 am #156
This topic is for details of site updates such as new features, and also nerdy stuff such as software or server updates.
If there’s a new feature that you’d like to see added to the site or perhaps you don’t think that something is working properly, feel free to leave a reply!
main web server:
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on Linode 2GB (London) + backup service
- Linode Object Storage (~55GB)
- Nginx 1.18.x
- Apache 2.4.x with ModSecurity & mod_perl
- PHP 7.4.x (FPM)
- MediaWiki 1.35.x (LTS) with CirrusSearch
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on Linode 8GB (London)
- MariaDB 10.3.x
major config changes:
- 02/05/2020: moved ElasticSearch from the web server onto the database server (not ideal, as ES is a memory hog but needed to free up memory on the web server to cope with the huge increase in traffic since lockdown)
- 29/05/2020: changed the MediaWiki job queue to a continuous service
- 30/07/2020: moved ElasticSearch back onto the main web server as traffic levels have dropped slightly from the peak around late May 2020
- 15/08/2020: migrated database to new Ubuntu 20.04 server running MariaDB
- 18/08/2020: upgraded database server hardware and moved ElasticSearch onto it
- 08/12/2020: site upgraded to MediaWiki 1.35 (LTS)
- 30/12/2020: hardware upgrade to MySQL/ElasticSearch server (2GB to 8GB)
- rewrite MW skin to resolve current JS loading issues (perhaps as part of migrating to MW 1.35?)
- integrated Omeka content directly into the wiki (so that the content appears in searches, etc) and just use Omeka as a back-end management tool
25 April 2020 at 11:53 am #157
- 1 x Linode 2GB (web server) – $120 per year
- 1 x Linode 8GB (database server) – $480 per year
- Linode Backups Service – $30 per year
- Linode Object Storage – $60 per year
- USD: $690
- UK (inc. VAT): approx £600
Synonym searching is now enabled on Huddersfield Exposed. This is primarily being used to provide search across common variant spellings, such as:
- Hellawell / Helliwell / Hellwell
- Hinchliffe / Hinchcliff / Hinchcliffe / Hinchliff
- Lingards / Lingarths
- Linthwaite / Linfit
- Slaithwaite / Slawit
The initial emphasis is on adding synonyms to improve searching across the Holmfirth Flood Project content where spellings of names and places varies from one newspaper report to the next.
For example, a search for linfit hall will also match linthwaite hall…
Using quotation marks overrides the synonym searching, allowing you to focus on a specific spelling…
The current list of synonyms can be viewed here: https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/HuddersfieldExposed:Synonyms
If there are any synonyms you’d like adding, please let me know.15 August 2020 at 5:02 pm #313
The site’s database has been migrated to a new server running MariaDB.27 November 2020 at 4:17 pm #378
The site was an early adopter of Linode’s Object Storage product and much of the multimedia content is stored “in the cloud”. At the time, the only option was to use the US-based storage.
As Linode now offer a European option and are able to support custom SSL certificates, I’ve begun migrating the bulk of the content across and it will be served from the domain storage.huddersfield.exposed. This should give slightly faster loading times for everyone in the UK.7 December 2020 at 9:17 am #381
The 1.34 branch of MediaWiki is now officially “end of life“.
Although there’s no immediate rush to move to 1.35 (LTS), I’ve decided it’d be better to carry out the upgrade before we begin loading the content of the newspaper OCR project as that will add over 43,000 new pages to the site.
I’ve carried out a successful test upgrade overnight, so the plan is to take the site offline for a short period tomorrow morning (Tuesday 8 December) to do the upgrade on the live server. If all goes well, it should only take about 15 minutes.
EDIT: the upgrade to 1.35 is now completed
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.